Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Saviour and ... (chokingly) ... Lord

I love to watch historical dramas about kings and queens. I have learned about lordship through watching some of these movies. 
Queen Elizabeth of England
Growing up and living in a democracy, in a freedom-of-speech land, our society knows nothing of lords, princes, and kings. We know nothing about bowing before the will of another human being. But, those who live in countries with kings and queens do.

To this day in some countries, to disrespect or disobey a king, queen, or president will result in torture and death.

The respect and/or fear of reprisal if your will is not bowed before him or her in authority is non-existent in our society as a whole.  Children in this generation don't even respect their parents, elders, teachers, principles, or even police. There is no respect for the authority figures in their lives.

It has been my experience over this almost 30 years, that Christians for the most part acknowledge Jesus Christ as Saviour. Very few truly respect His Lordship.  Mainly because it is not taught about. 
Therefore, God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the Name which is above every name, that at the Name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in Heaven, and of those on Earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the Glory of God, The Father.  ~Phil. 2:9-11
Young Christians in our society do not know anything about the authority of a lord. 

Slaves did. Slaves do. Prostitutes who have pimps do. Children with abusive parents do. Forcefully, they are made to bow their wills.

So, bowing to the will of The LORD Jesus Christ - on our own - is not something that comes naturally to Americans. It must be taught in our churches. It must be part of the foundational truths we teach to young Believers. They must understand the concept of lordship.

I am blessed to say that Jesus Christ is my Saviour and Lord, and I'm in the prep stages of teaching a foundational course in our church.  May God grant me the ability to communicate this most important topic to His children.

The Lords and Servants of Downton Abbey
Does anyone watch Downton Abbey on Masterpiece Classics on PBS? Oh, I hope so! It is my favorite TV show.  You will see, in real life, how the lords and lordships work in England. The characters are the Lords of a VERY LARGE estate and their servants who see that Downton Abbey runs smoothly and that the lords are dressed, fed, and taken care of. 

May it teach us Americans how to bow our will to that of another in authority over us, namely The Lord Jesus Christ.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Because of Him and Unto Him,

8 comments:

wordglow said...

Yes, I have watched and for the most part loved Downton Abbey! I'm really upset though by the latest somewhat gratuitous eliminations of characters etc. and sad that it seems to be getting more soap like in that way. But I love the whole upstairs downstairs feel, all the surroundings, costumes etc. And that Downton is a real home (different name). I found it in an issue of a English Home magazine I have, and saw a piece on tV about the real owners and how they are trying to keep it up. Beautifully filmed show!

Floyd said...

Amen, Diane. While I refuse to bow before people unless they too belong to my Father, I humbly bow, face in earth before the One who created and owns me. It is a thing of honor to give honor... Great reminder...

Musings by Robert said...

Respect has been lost in todays world. Honor your parents and honor God and his house. Jesus was one that also had to say, Not my will but thine be done. Thanks for an exceptional post!

Diane Ronzino said...

Pam, I'm so glad to hear you love Downton Abbey. I, too, am disappointed as to the turn it seems to have taken. Hopefully, it will get back on track.

If we would only say, "Yes, my Lord" as often as the servants do!

Diane Ronzino said...

I love your line, Floyd: It is a thing of honor to give honor. YES!

I think you may like Downton Abbey. Watch it from Season 1.

Diane Ronzino said...

Oh, you are so right, Robert. It is wonderful to have you come by today. Thank you so much. That blesses me. I haven't been to your blog in a while either. Please forgive me for that. So, I do appreciate your stopping by and commenting! God bless you, Robert!

Betty said...

Love this post Diane and I so agree with you...there is little respect given to our Lord.

I just finished watching the 3rd episode of that series, loved it. Amazing how respect for a family can bring a close relationship between them. I am hoping there is a 4th one being made. Blessings my friend.

Diane Ronzino said...

So glad you, too, watch Downton. Another thing in common.